The Biblioteca Palafoxiana has around 45,059 books that include a vast number of first and rare editions of materials such as Civil and Canon law, Theology, Patristics, Homiletics, Liturgy, Medicine, Philosophy, Chemistry, among others. Languages such as Latin, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic are also present. This great variety of knowledge is the evidence of a meaningful exchange of ideas and the presence of the Western intellectual tradition in America. This incredible venue still has its original furniture and flooring. In 2005, due to the importance of its collection, the Biblioteca Palafoxiana was recognized as “Memory of the World” by UNESCO.
Address: Av. 5 Oriente 5, Col. Centro Histórico, 72000 Puebla, Pue.
Kitchen of the Ex Convento de Santa Rosa
The Convent of Santa Rosa de Lima, which had nuns of the Order of Santo Domingo, had as precedent a beguinage led by the Dominican friar Bernardo de Andia between 1677 and 1680. The foundation was officially approved in 1740, and in 1745 the convent was dedicated to Bishop Manuel Fernández de Santa Cruz. In 1867, due to the Reform Laws, the nuns were unfrocked, so the convent and its famous "Cocina de Santa Rosa" covered with Talavera became a possession of the government. The building was used as a hospital and later as a neighborhood.
In 1926, the Kitchen of Santa Rosa was inaugurated as the "Museo de la Céramica" in honor of the production of Talavera of Puebla.
In 1973, the convent and the kitchen were restored so the Museo de Arte Popular ex Convento de Santa Rosa was opened and dedicated to the artisan expressions of the 217 municipalities of Puebla. The permanent collection invites you to know the variety of materials and techniques that integrate the artisan wealth of the state, with the presence of Acatlán clay, Huixcolotla chopped paper, Tecali stone, Chigmecatitlán woven palm and textiles from the Sierra Norte, among others. In the entrance, there is a viceregal mural that still remains from the past.
Address: Calle 3 Norte No. 1203 Centro Histórico, Puebla
Museum of the Evolution of Puebla
The Museum of the Evolution of Puebla shows, through four exhibition rooms, a journey of more than 14 billion years that covers the origins of the universe, as well as the main geological eras of Earth and the evolution of species. Topics such as biodiversity, global warming, and ecology are also developed. However, the permanent exhibition has an important collection of fossils, minerals, and skeletons reproductions of extinct species, as well as interactive resources, scale models, and mockups that allow the visitor to approach the museum in a didactic way.
Address: Av: Ejército de Oriente, esq. Cazadores de Morelia S/N, Unidad Cívica 5 de Mayo. Los Fuertes, 72260 Puebla, Pue.
Museum of the Mexican Revolution House of the Serdán Brothers
The Regional Museum of the Mexican Revolution House of the Serdán brothers was inaugurated on November 18th, 1960 by President Adolfo López Mateos with the objective of remembering the beginning of the Mexican Revolution of Puebla which Aquiles, Máximo and, Carmen Serdán took part of. The property belonged to Natalia Serdán, and functioned as a secret headquarters for the meetings of the anti-relectionist party of Puebla and warehouse of weapons and ammunition until the discovery of the conspiracy in 1910 where Máximo and Achilles lost their lives.
On the first floor, you can see a recreation of the area where the Serdán Altatriste lived, including Carmen's bed which was donated to the museum by the family. On the second floor, historical photographs, newspapers and documents explain the origins and development of the Mexican Revolution. Among the most relevant works is “El espejo baleado”, a mirror that has bullet impacts from the fight.
Address: 6 Oriente No. 206, Centro Histórico, Puebla.